Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reds Sweep Floridians!

Thanks to Mother Nature the Reds four-game series with Florida became a three-game set, as Thursday's series finale was rained out. For the first time in 2008, the Reds have swept a series. Scheduled starter Matt Belisle will have his turn skipped in the rotation, clearly the only choice that makes any sense. Johnny Cueto, Aaron Harang and Edinson Volquez will be starting in the Cleveland series, with Bronson Arroyo throwing the opener in Los Angeles and Belisle getting game two.

Cleaning Up Schottzie will be a bit sporadic in its updates over the next few days, as I've got a trip coming up. Friday I'll try to get an update after the game, but thanks to MLB's television deal with Fox I likely won't be watching Saturday's game til early Sunday morning. Sunday through Wednesday, I won't be watching til Thursday morning/afternoon, then Thursday and Friday night I'll be going to the games at Petco.

I first saw the Reds here in San Diego in 2005, when I saw them pound the Padres on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. Eric Milton shockingly pitched great in the Sunday game, and Adam Dunn had a grand slam. 2006 was a different story; the Reds came in a contender and limped home winning one of three, the one I didn't attend. Saturday Jake Peavy threw a complete game and struck out approximately 57 batters, and Sunday David Wells shut down the Reds and they lost late. Eric Milton again pitched really well, though... to me he was a great signing! Last year, again, the Reds lost two out of three and I attended the two losses. Greg Maddux was just fantastic in the first one I attended, going the distance, and the second game was the infamous Bronson Arroyo 129-pitch outing that cooked his season.

My Reds-Padres history actually goes a long way back, as it's the matchup I've seen most often. My first matchup between the teams in person came August 1, 1993, as San Diego won. Tony Gwynn robbed Barry Larkin of a potential game-tying homer to end it. This was also one of just two times I sat in the yellow seats at Riverfront. I saw the teams play twice in 2001 at Riverfront, as San Diego pounded the Reds Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Sunday was a particularly ugly start by Osvaldo Fernandez. 2002 I saw the two teams tangle in the Sunday afternoon game. Danny Graves had a total meltdown, blowing a two-run lead in the ninth, then there was a lengthy rain delay, and the game went twelve before Aaron Boone won it with a dinger. 2004 was my last time at Great American, as I went with my future wife and Khalil Greene went four-for-six with two homers and four RBI. Paul Wilson lasted just an inning and a third, and the Reds lost, 14-5. Just so ugly.

I don't know if anyone else found that interesting, but I did. Next the Reds welcome the Indians to Great American for a three-game set. Game time for the first game is 7:10, 4:10 here in Chargerland. Peace!

No comments: